Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Eau Claire & Chippewa Counties: Thank You!

I spent last Wednesday through Sunday in the small town of Holcombe in northern Chippewa County to visit my family and participate in the annual whitetail hunt. I love my family, but we don't see eye to eye regarding the recall. While we were able to be mostly civil with each other, there were some tense moments during the extended stay. I had been prepared for that possibility, but Walker's latest ad featuring "Kristi" aired on WEAU NBC 13 every single commercial break, four to five times an hour, made things more difficult than they needed to be.

On the way to Holcombe, I drive through Cadott, and I was happy to see a pair of women with signs stationed halfway between the North Pole and the equator (give or take three miles). When I left on Sunday, those women or their co-activistas were still there, occupying the halfway mark. It was a heartening sight, even more so the second time around, and I democrabeeped them both coming and going.

I also want to send out mad respect to the Eau Claire area activists who occupied Black Friday in the general vicinity of Golf Road. The women stationed at the light that leads to Target (Janis, Joelle?, and the woman with the sign) said the crew I'd noticed around 2:00 a.m. had collected around 90 signatures. While that corner had been the only other one occupied when I'd decided to take up occupancy across from Best Buy, when I came back for my second round, I found that there were circulators everywhere around 8:00 a.m. Special thanks to everyone from my home stomping ground in Chippewa County and Eau Claire who put in the time to collect signatures, and special thanks to everyone who stopped to sign.

I'll have a more thorough Black Friday report later, but for now I wanted to recognize these amazing volunteers, some of whom I spoke with, some of whom at which I only beeped and waved. You are an inspiration to me. It's clear from the heavy rotation of anti-recall ads in the market that Walker wants your souls. Thank you for continuing to struggle on the Forward line to help create a better future for Wisconsin!

No comments:

Post a Comment